Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 9 - The Plan

OK, so I'll just dive right into this (as there is really only a "deep" end.)

This morning Mel and I drove down to MUSCs Ashley River Tower so I could get a CT scan of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis. Other than the really disgusting stuff I had to drink before hand, this all went off without a hitch - lasting only about 10 minutes total for the scan. We then moved the car to a different garage a couple of blocks away so as to access the Hollings Cancer Center. This is where my first meeting with Dr. Chin the Oncologist was to happen. Everything timed out perfectly and we arrived right on time. Oh, interesting side note and the first benefit realized from my Handicapped placard - they can't charge you for parking in downtown Charleston if you're handicapped. Free parking - find that in Boston!

In any case, we met with Dr. Chin. We both liked him very much. He seems more than qualified and didn't talk down to us. And, as Mel says, "He doesn't look twelve" like so many of the doctors I saw while in the hospital did. Here's what I we know:

I've got Stage IV Adenocarcinoma. The tumor is located on the top outside of the stomach near the bottom of the lungs and the liver. The tumor is surrounded by fluid that contains abnormal cells. It's because of this fluid and the spreading cancer cells that the cancer is considered Stage IV which essentially means it is in-operable. At this point, surgery is not an option and most likely never will be. A cursory look at my CT scan shows no cancer in either the lungs or the liver but there are some "suspicious" masses growing on the outer lining of my small intestine - further analysis is needed. As the only true cure for Adenocarcinoma is surgery and as that option is not available, we will concentrate on prolonging my life (at a decent quality of living) for as long as possible. How long that will be remains to be seen. There are five types of chemotherapy that are useful against this type of cancer but two of them rely heavily on the kidneys to filter them out so we'll avoid those until my kidney function edges back closer to normal. Of the other three, two are filtered primarily through the liver. We'll start by trying one of these and then, depending on how well I tolerate it, move on to a cocktail of two or three. Usually the chemo would be administered every two weeks, but given my weakened state, the Doc decided it would be better to administer lower doses weekly. He thinks I will tolerate it better. I go back in a week to have some blood work, review the treatment plan with Dr. Chin, and then receive my first dose of chemo.

I think that's everything. Keep the good thoughts and prayers coming.

Be Well.

Chris

3 comments:

bekster said...

Wow. :( Well, I'm glad you at least have some more answers and a way to proceed. Tommy and I are still praying. Please let us know if you can do anything for/with you. We love you guys.

Pete said...

Wow, that really blows. But at least it sounds like you have a plan to battle this out. Please remember, our thoughts and prayers are always with you guys. Hang tough!

Bob said...

I just talked with your mom and then read your blog. I see Peter has been in touch; I'm sure Kerry will be. While the news is grim, I know how positive you always are, and we're sending more positive thoughts your way. Although I know you must have your times, your upbeat personality and all the prayers coming your way will get you and the family through this. Take care.

Much love,
Uncle Bob andd Aunt Sandy