Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Verdict is In

Well the decision has been made. On Monday morning at 5:30am I will be reporting back to the hospital for surgery. At around 7:30 that same morning they'll crack my chest and perform a triple coronary bypass surgery. If all goes well, the surgery should take about 5 hours after which I'll spend a day or two in the ICU. Then a week or so in the hospital and at least a week of no activity at home.

I don't mind telling you that I am a little more than just apprehensive about this surgery. I'm not that old but I'm also not in the best of health. The thought of them opening up my chest bothers me more than the actual heart surgery. It will undoubtedly be a couple of very painful weeks and up to two months of limited activity. Of course the alternative isn't really an option - if we do nothing, I run the risk of a massive heart attack and putting in stints would very likely neither completely solve the blockages nor last for very long before closing up. So surgery it is.

I hope you'll understand, but I'll be out of touch for a while. I'll get an update here as soon as I'm able - hopefully by the end of next week or so.

Be well.
Chris

No comments: