Thursday, April 23, 2009

And The Beat Goes On

Sonny and Cher - The Beat Goes On: Best Of - The Beat Goes On

Well the verdict is technically still out – but my prospects look good. Last Monday morning, I went in for my triple bypass surgery. I was taking into the operating room about 7:30 and came out around 1:00 or so. It all went fairly well though I did require three units of blood and two units of platelets. Afterwards, it took a while for them to get my ever dropping blood pressure to stabilize. But, in the end, everything came together and I was transferred out of ICU on Wednesday and sent home last Sunday.

I’m still quite sore and my energy level is very low, but I feel stronger with every day. My usual routine has me taking the first part of the day fairly slow – resting, reading, or watching a movie (or two.) Then, when Noah gets home from school around 2:00 or so, I get more active. This has me up and about when the family is here instead of being exhausted when they’re at home. At the doctor’s suggestion, I’ll start taking short walks every day and increasing my distance gradually.

I still have a small drainage tube in my lower left side that is still putting out a small amount of fluid. The doctor felt it was worth waiting on pulling it and will take it out Monday. Other than that he told me I was doing well. Still can’t drive yet and I won’t be able to lift anything bigger than 10lbs for six weeks (that’s when my breast bone should be fused back together.) The medication regime is slightly more complicated than before surgery, but I’m used to that by now and it’s really just a case of keeping yourself organized (and having a wife who’s real good at reminding you.)

Be Well.
Chris

No comments: